The aim of the oncology day hospital (a care platform) is to avoid hospitalisation with night stays while limiting the impact of the disease and its treatments on the personal, family, social and professional life of patients with cancer.
The following may be carried out in the Day Hospital:
- Conventional anti-cancer treatments (chemotherapy, targeted treatments, immunotherapy), as well as innovative treatments as part of clinical trials, with all cancer pathologies and all stages included.
- Support treatments: bisphosphonates, bone antiresorption treatment, immunoglobulins, antibiotics, intravenous iron, blood product transfusions, etc.
- Some diagnostic and therapeutic procedures (pleural, ascites or lumbar punctures and bone biopsies).
These treatments and procedures are prescribed by the oncologists and hematologists treating the patients and are carried out by a team of nurses and doctors specializing in oncology.
The Day Clinic of the Jules Bordet Institute is located at the ground floor (HDJ : Way 2070). It is particularly easy to access for the patient because it is located on the same floor as the sampling department and medical consultations.
The Day Clinic has 2 sub-units and has a total of 40 day hospitalization places including 28 single rooms.
A good understanding of the treatment plan is essential for the well-being of the patients having treatment. The first task of the medical and nursing team of the Day Hospital is therefore to inform the patient fully, and in an understandable manner, about the practical aspects and the potential side effects associated with the treatment prescribed by the medical oncologists or haematologists.
The out-patients medical management at the Day Hospital is part of a multidisciplinary approach:
- The patients are managed by a nursing team specialised in cancer care and experienced in handling and managing any toxic reactions induced by some anti-cancer drugs.
- A team of pharmacists and pharmacy assistants ensure the preparation and dilution of anticancer drugs - according to the strictest quality standards - in the oncology pharmacy located just below the day hospital and in direct contact with it in order to guarantee maximum efficiency and safety for patients and healthcare staff.
- Doctors specialised in medical oncology and hematology are always present at the Day Hospital to answer patients’ questions, monitor them carefully and manage any side effects during their treatments and carry out certain technical acts..
Such a high level of requirements and excellence in patient care is constantly evolving. Due to its central location, the Day Hospital interacts with many specialities within the Institut Jules Bordet itself.
The Day Hospital works together in particular with the clinical research teams.
Aim: to provide the best treatment and management of patients receiving innovative anti-cancer drugs in the context of clinical trials.
Furthermore, the Day Hospital team participates in carrying out clinical studies aimed at improving the well-being of cancer patients and their loved ones in close collaboration with psycho-oncologists and paramedical teams (dietetics). , supportive care, etc.).
- Doctor in charge
- Referring Physicians
- Head nurse
- Hayet Allal
- Hayet Allal
- Head pharmacist
- Laurence Alexandre