Press Release (30/09/2022)
PINK OCTOBER, A MONTH OF BREAST CANCER AWARENESSToday more than ever, the Hôpital Universitaire de Bruxelles (H.U.B) is supporting the fight against breast cancer
30/09/2022 - Breast cancer affects more than 10,000 women a year in Belgium, making it the number one cause of death among women. The Hôpital Universitaire de Bruxelles, consisting of the Jules Bordet Institute, the Erasmus Hospital and the Queen Fabiola University Children's Hospital, is organising a range of actions, live and online, to mark this month of October dedicated to the fight against breast cancer.
BREAST CANCER, A REALITY FOR ONE IN EIGHT WOMEN
Every year more than 10,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer in Belgium. Making it the most common form of cancer in women and the principal cause of death among the female population. While at some point in their lives one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer, the survival rate continues to increase, thanks to increasingly early tumour detection and new forms of treatment and care. Today, the survival probability is over 90% at 5 years, especially if the disease is detected early. These figures highlight the importance of early detection of any anomaly, whether by self-massaging of the breasts, a check by the gynaecologist, or on the occasion of the Mammotest or other breast cancer screening campaigns.
LIVE AND ONLINE ACTIONS THROUGHOUT OCTOBER
Today more than ever, the Hôpital Universitaire de Bruxelles, a grouping of the Jules Bordet Institute, the Erasmus Hospital and the Queen Fabiola University Children's Hospital (HUDERF), is supporting the fight against breast cancer. A number of actions are scheduled throughout the month of October:
- On Monday 3 October the Belgian artist Christophe de Fierlant will be painting a work live in support of breast cancer awareness. A painting that he wants to be an expression of hope inviting everyone to make the most of life as "each day counts". The artist, who is very aware of cancer in general, will produce a unique large format work in the main hall of the Jules Bordet Institute.
- Monday 10 October will be a day dedicated to the presence of various patients' association at the Jules Bordet Institute. Their members will be present in the main hall to meet with patients, their loved ones and nurses and carers. We look forward to welcoming Vivre comme Avant, Lovely Solidarity and many others.
- Throughout the month, you will be able to discover online the latest information and news (latest figures, studies, etc.) relating to breast cancer. Check the websites and social networks of the various hospitals: The Brussels University Hospital, the Jules Bordet Institute, the Erasmus Hospital and the HUDERF.
These events and access to the latest information and news bear witness to the expertise of the Brussels University Hospital in the field of leading edge cancer treatment and innovation. A dedicated hospital that seeks to be as close as possible to the individual patient in offering the most accessible care possible that is of the very highest quality
- PRESS CONTACT
Press responsible : Alexandra Cazan
- E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org + email@example.com
- Tel : +32 (0)2 541 38 89
- Mob : +32 (0) 493 16 74 79
OVER THE H.U.B
The Hôpital Universitaire de Bruxelles (H.U.B) is the academic hospital of the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), which unites the Jules Bordet institute, the Erasme Hospital and the Queen Fabiola Children’s University Hospital (HUDERF) since 2021.
As an international reference center, located in the heart of the Brussels Region, the H.U.B offers high quality general, oncological and pediatric care.
This excellent care, accessible to all, is enriched and sustained by a dual approach of scientific research and teaching for the caregivers of tomorrow.
In 2022, the H.U.B. is composed of more than 6,000 employees who share the following values: Interest of the patient, Team spirit, Commitment, Solidarity, Diversity and Inclusion, and the principle of Free enquiry.